Police officers face all sorts of harrowing life-and-death situations.
And sometimes, those situations can come right through the front door of the police station!
When Megan Vitale rushed into the station screaming for help, the cops on duty weren’t quite sure what the problem was; Megan was panicked and almost incoherent.
Then they saw a man run in behind her and the deadly situation became clearer.
The guy – one of the officers on duty, Jorge Hernandez – was holding a 9-week-old puppy and he had apparently stopped breathing!
Megan said the puppy, a little Saint Bernard named Bodhi, had suddenly started choking on his food.
And now, Bodhi was limp and unresponsive and things looked very, very bleak for the poor pooch…
But thankfully, the quick-thinking officers used their training and leaped to the rescue! They knew just what to do, as Officer Hernandez remembers:
“I put the dog down on the floor and I mean my whole hands pretty much wrapped around him and I just started kind of pumping away at his chest.”
With the help of North Reading firefighters, the rescuers performed back blows and compressions until whatever Bodhi was choking on became dislodged.
Amazingly, it all worked out and the terrified pup gasped his first breaths of air in a long time!
He still needed some oxygen but otherwise, he was going to be just fine. Chief Michael P. Murphy lauded his officers for their good deed:
“Ultimately, a life was saved thanks to rescuers falling back on their training and remaining calm.
Even though we are not faced with this kind of incident every day, the officers reacted just as they would in any emergency situation.
We are hopeful that the puppy will make a full recovery.”
Let this be a cautionary tale to all you owners of young pups:
Make absolutely certain there isn’t anything lying around the young’un can choke on…they’re just as vulnerable as human babies!
Source: Animals Being Cute